What is the CELTA?
If you’re searching for an internationally recognized qualification in teaching English as a second or foreign language, then the Cambridge CELTA is right for you.
What is the CELTA?
The Cambridge English Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults – CELTA – provides the initial training needed for new teachers to enter the EFL industry and essential for experienced teachers who wish to build on their existing skills.
The course is highly regarded by employers around the world as it provides a strong basis from which you can continue to develop into a highly effective teacher of English. In many parts of the world companies might not consider applicants who have not passed the CELTA qualification.
Previous English language teaching experience is not necessary to attend this course.
● The CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is the most widely recognised TEFL (Teaching English as Foreign Language) qualification in the world.
● The CELTA is recognised by employers around the globe. It is recognised by language centres and will qualify you to teach around the world. It is asked for by 9 out of 10 English language teacher employers in the UK and 7 out of 10 worldwide (source: Cambridge English). They know that people with this qualification do their job well and have been tested properly.
● The CELTA is accredited by Cambridge English Language Assessment, part of the University of Cambridge, which makes it respected and schools looking to hire you know you have been trained to a high standard.
● Many of CELTA candidates choose to take the course to add to their existing university teaching qualifications; either to learn more modern classroom methods or to be guided and observed by experienced, Cambridge certified, teacher trainers. Therefore, the course is normally a great opportunity to share and learn from a wide variety of professional and cultural backgrounds.
● The CELTA doesn’t expire so you will be a qualified English language teacher for life.
● The CELTA has theoretical and practical components so you do not only learn the rules of teaching others but you can practise them during the course.
● The opportunity to conduct lessons during the course, when a more experienced teacher is observing you, allows you to correct your mistakes earlier. It’s better to work on imperfections with your course instructor rather than be criticised by your boss.
● Cambridge makes sure that all of these centres run standardised courses, which means that people who’ve obtained the CELTA qualification are teachers of the same standard. This is a reason why companies are more likely to hire CELTA-certified teachers.
The CELTA syllabus is set by Cambridge Assessment English and covers the following learning areas:
✔️ Learners and teachers, teaching and learning context
✔️ Language analysis and awareness
✔️ Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
✔️ Planning and resources for different contexts
✔️ Developing teaching skills and professionalism
These are interactive, highly informative and very closely linked with classroom teaching. Some include:
✅ Classroom techniques: language clarification, practice, error correction, classroom management, group work and pair work etc.
✅ Teaching and learning the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing
✅ Principled lesson planning of different types of lessons, course planning
✅ Different learning and teaching styles at adult level, adult learners‘ motivations and learning styles
You will be also asked to complete four written assignments on the following areas:
✅ Adult learners and learning contexts
✅ The language system of English
✅ Language skills
✅ Reflection on classroom teaching
You will also complete:
✅ 6 hours of assessed teaching practice, supported by guided lesson planning and feedback
✅ 6 hours of observations of experienced teachers
There are essentially three possibilities to take CELTA: full-time, part-time, and online. And the choice is entirely up to you, your learning preferences, and your personal situation.CELTA Full-time:
Blended CELTA Course: